With the cold air in our midst, Land Rover Frisco in Frisco, Texas would like to take a moment to fill you in on a few simple and helpful tips that will ensure not only that your vehicle makes it through the winter without any hiccups, but that you and your loved ones are kept safe behind the wheel.
During the winter, the roads can become very slippery and slick which can cause for unpredictable driving conditions, so here is a list of some simple tasks to complete before the chilly winds start to blow and the flurries start to fall.
- Check your anti-freeze – Anti-freeze is an essential part of keeping your car running properly during the winter. Your vehicle should contain a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze at all times, so make sure the level is full by keeping an eye on the reservoir.
- Have your tires checked – It is absolutely vital to have the proper amount of traction and air in your tires, so make sure you check the tread depth as well as the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle. Tires actually lose pressure when it gets cold, so make sure you keep check them at least once a week to ensure proper pressure levels. You may also want to look into buying snow tires depending on where you live and how much snowfall you receive.
- Replace your wipers – Check to see that your wipers are intact and in proper working condition. If you notice that the rubber has lost its flexibility or there are any cracks in the wiper frame itself, have them replaced immediately as it will limit your vision as well as permit you from keeping your windshield free from precipitation. Also make sure that your washer fluid is kept full.
- Belts and hoses – The cold can greatly reduce the life expectancy of belts and hoses, so make sure they are in good shape before venturing out on the road. A stretched or cracked belt affects engine performance, and a broken belt can leave you stranded.
- Inspect your battery – Make sure the clamps on your battery are securely tightened and that the battery is free of grime and mineral deposits. Also inspect the cables and secure them firmly to the battery. The last thing you want to have happen is to find out you have a dead battery, especially when it’s below freezing outside.
- Brake check – You don’t want to be skidding around on sheets of ice with old brake pads and rotors, so have your brakes checked and replaced if necessary so that you can stop your Land Rover in a safe and timely manner.
Here at Land Rover Frisco in Frisco, Texas we take pride in knowing that our vehicles are made with the finest parts and you can rest assure that you will be kept safe and in good hands during the winter season. Should you have any questions regarding the preparation of your Land Rover for the winter, feel free to call us and one of our professional and courteous team members will gladly help you out.